Hiscox Corporate - link to homepage



The kind of financial strength and experience that Hiscox can demonstrate is a prerequisite for real estate owners, developers and construction companies seeking comprehensive cover, both for current projects and completed properties. We write cover for clients from homeowners, haulage companies and building contractors up to Fortune 500 businesses with international property portfolios.

We provide cover for all risks of physical loss or damage, and for named perils including natural catastrophe. We have five main categories of property insurance.

Commercial property

We insure both large commercial property – manufacturing and industrial, banks and hospitals – and small/medium commercial property. We underwrite complicated risks involving high values, hazardous processes or technological complexity. We look to insure companies keen to use insurance as a risk management tool while retaining much of their own risk. In evaluating a potential client, we concentrate on the management rather than the property itself. We insure against direct physical loss or damage as a result of earthquakes, named windstorms, floods, terrorism and equipment breakdown. Cover may also include resultant business interruption, boiler and machinery breakdown, and natural catastrophe perils.

Onshore energy

We insure utilities, mines, onshore oil refineries and chemical plants; companies of every size, from small independents to major multinationals across the world. Typical cover includes physical assets; loss of profits or revenue; business interruption; boiler and machinery breakdown; and natural catastrophe perils. We also cover marine offshore property and third-party liability.

USA homeowners

We specialise in insuring high value homes across the USA and Canada. This includes tenanted, seasonal and second homes, property in high risk areas, such as California and property with previous claims issues. We can cover flood and wind risks as well as jewellery and art schedules. Most business is written on a delegated authority basis through wholesale brokers.


Our construction property insurance extends beyond traditional builders to address the needs of construction contractors and developers. We cover risks to all types of projects, including physical damage to property, delay in completion, and cover for perils of flood, earthquakes and named windstorms.

Inland marine

Our inland marine product covers a wide range of inland marine and related property risks. Covering businesses of all sizes, we insure construction equipment, mining operations, railroads and railroad rolling stock, and trucks amongst other things across the USA.