Robert Childs joined Hiscox in 1986, served as the Active Underwriter of the Hiscox Lloyd’s Syndicate 33 between 1993 and 2005, and was the Group’s Chief Underwriting Officer until February 2013. In 2012 Robert joined the Council of Lloyd’s. Robert was Chairman of the Lloyd’s Market Association from January 2003 to May 2005. He is a Trustee of Enham (a charity for the disabled), former Chairman of the Advisory Board of the School of Management of Royal Holloway University of London, Chairman of The Bermuda Society and, in 2017, became Deputy Chairman of Lloyd’s.
Bronek Masojada joined Hiscox in 1993 as Group MD and he became CEO in 2000. From 1989 to 1993 he was employed by McKinsey & Company. Bronek served as a Deputy Chairman of Lloyd’s from 2001 to 2007 and was Chairman of the Lloyd’s Tercentenary Research Foundation from 2008 to 2014. He is currently a member of the Board of the Association of British Insurers and a Director of Pool Reinsurance Company Limited. In March 2018 he took over as Chair of Placing Platform Limited, the organisation responsible for moving the London insurance market to an electronic trading platform.
Joanne Musselle joined Hiscox in 2002, having previously worked for AXA and Aviva in both the UK and Asian markets. She began her Hiscox career as a Technical Underwriting Manager within professions and specialty commercial followed by a six month secondment to the Group as Business Improvement Manager. In 2006, Joanne moved into Hiscox Group claims as Head of Claims Strategy before becoming Head of UK Claims from June 2009. She became Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO) for Hiscox UK and Ireland in July 2012 and CUO of Hiscox Retail in July 2017, before being appointed CUO for Hiscox Group at the end of 2019.
Aki Hussain joined Hiscox in 2016 from Prudential plc, where he spent seven years; latterly as Chief Financial Officer of Prudential UK and Europe. Prior to his time with Prudential, Aki held a number of senior roles in the financial services, telecoms and media sectors. He was Finance Director for the Consumer Bank division at Lloyds Banking Group until 2009, before which he was Finance Director for the Consumer division of ntl (now Virgin Media). Aki is a Chartered Accountant, having trained with KPMG.
Non Executive Directors
Caroline Foulger joined Hiscox in January 2013 having retired from a partnership at PwC on 31 December 2012. Until May 2012, Caroline led PwC’s Insurance and Reinsurance practice in Bermuda. Caroline is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Bermuda and a member of the Institute of Directors. Caroline is a Non Executive Director of the Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Limited and Oakley Capital Investments Limited.
Michael Goodwin joined Hiscox in November 2017. He has over 25 years’ experience in the insurance industry having worked for QBE Insurance between 1992 and 2012. He held a number of roles for QBE in the Australian and Asia Pacific markets and was the CEO for QBE Asia Pacific from 2007 to 2012. Michael is a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia.
Thomas Hürlimann joined Hiscox in November 2017. Thomas has 28 years’ experience in banking, reinsurance and insurance. Most recently as CEO Global Corporate at Zurich Insurance Group, a business with US$9 billion premiums and a network in over 200 countries. Before that he worked at Swiss Re and started his career with National Westminster Bank. He holds an MBA from IMD.
Colin Keogh joined Hiscox in November 2015. Colin has spent his career in financial services, principally at Close Brothers Group plc, where he worked for 24 years and was CEO from 2002 until 2009. He is a Non Executive Director of Virgin Money Holdings (UK) plc and certain of its subsidiaries. He is also a Non Executive Director of M&G Group Limited and Chairman of specialist financial services business Premium Credit Limited.
Anne MacDonald joined Hiscox in May 2015. Anne has held the position of Chief Marketing Officer at four different Fortune 100 companies, marketing some of the most recognisable corporate names in the world – from Citigroup and Travelers to Macy’s and PepsiCo. With an MBA from Bath University, Anne was formerly a Director of NASDAQ-listed Rentrak Corporation, stepping down from the Board on completion of its merger with comScore, Inc.
Costas Miranthis joined Hiscox in November 2017. He was President and CEO of PartnerRe a position from which he stepped down in 2015. Prior to joining PartnerRe in 2002 he was a Principal of Tillinghast-Towers Perrin in its London office with responsibility for the European non-life practice. He is a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries and a member of the American Academy of Actuaries. He is also a past Chair of the European Reinsurance Association Board.
Lynn Pike joined Hiscox in May 2015. Lynn has 38 years’ experience in the banking industry, most recently as President of Capital One Bank. Prior to Capital One, Lynn was President of Bank of America’s Small Business Banking division, a $2.1 billion revenue business, with oversight of 110,000 business clients and 2,000 employees. Dividing her time between California and Connecticut, Lynn currently serves on the boards of American Express National Bank, Phoenix House Foundation and California State University-Channel Island, as well as the Bankwork$ Advisory Board.
Amanda joined Hiscox in 2006 as Chief Human Resources Officer. Prior to joining the Group, Amanda worked for Mars, PepsiCo and Whitbread in senior human resources roles in Europe and internationally. Previous roles include: Compensation and Benefits Director for PepsiCo’ restaurants division in Europe and Africa; Group Compensation and Benefits Director for hotel and restaurant company, Whitbread; and, Human Resources Director for Marriott Hotels in the UK. Amanda began her career at Mars Confectionery where she joined as an English graduate from Reading University.
In 2015, Robert was appointed CEO of Hiscox Special Risks, the global market leader in kidnap and ransom insurance and leading underwriter of private client, fine art and executive security risks. Hiscox Special Risks is the Hiscox Group’s only business unit with wholesale and retail operations in a range of diverse markets across the globe. Robert joined Hiscox in 1994 from Cassidy Davis, then world leaders in kidnap and ransom insurance, where he was a Director. In 2002, Robert was named a Hiscox Partner. He was previously a broker at specialist political risk brokers, Investment Insurance International.
Stéphane was appointed Chief Executive Officer of Hiscox Europe in July 2016, after four years as the Group’s Chief Information Officer. Stéphane joined Hiscox in 2010, originally as the Chief Operating Officer for Europe. Prior to joining Hiscox, he worked across a number of sectors within Financial Services for companies such as Paribas, CapitalOne and AIG, in France, the United Arab Emirates and Spain.
Grace joined Hiscox in 2018 to lead our award-winning team of more than 250 claims specialists across 14 locations, who are the standard-bearers for Hiscox’s customer promise. As a qualified US lawyer, Grace has spent time working in private practice as well as in the insurance sector in both Bermuda and the USA, having lead the global claims function at Allied World – including through the large catastrophe loss years of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma in 2005 – and served as Corporate Counsel and latterly Chief Claims Officer at insurtech business, Homesite.
Hanna joined Hiscox in 2015 as Chief Risk Officer for the Group. Hanna leads our team of risk and compliance experts and has Group-wide responsibility for Hiscox’s enterprise risk management and compliance framework across our diversified international insurance and reinsurance businesses. Hanna is a qualified actuary with over 20 years’ insurance experience gained in consultancy as well as at international insurers in both the UK and Australia.
Mike joined Hiscox in 2003, working first as a management information analyst in the retail team before moving into catastrophe modelling as a senior analyst in the London Market business. Mike joined the reinsurance team in 2005, writing the global reinsurance account before moving on to run Syndicate 33’s North America and Caribbean account in 2012. In 2013, Mike was appointed Director of Non Marine Underwriting for Hiscox Re and, in the same year, became a Hiscox Partner. Mike was appointed Hiscox Re Chief Underwriting Officer, joint active underwriter of Syndicate 33 and active underwriter for Syndicate 6104 in 2014 and in 2017 he relocated from London to Bermuda to become CEO of Hiscox Re & ILS.
Steve Langan joined Hiscox in 2005 as MD of Hiscox UK & Ireland after a highly successful marketing and management career with Diageo, Coca-Cola, Nestlé and Bass Brewers in the UK, Europe and South America.
In his role as MD, Steve transformed the UK business from a name only known in the City to the UK's most trusted general insurer and a nationally known and respected brand. Over the past three years the Hiscox brand has been successfully launched in the USA and France under his leadership.
From 2013 until July 2018, Steve led the UK & Ireland and Europe businesses as a combined entity and from 2014-7 he was also CEO of the Direct Asia Group following its acquisition.
Prior to joining Hiscox Steve worked at the world's number one drinks company Diageo, where he held the position of Managing Director of the company's Italian subsidiary, based in Turin, for three years. He has also held senior marketing and commercial positions with Diageo Ireland and The Coca Cola Company.
Steve is a history graduate of Glasgow University and a Fellow of the Marketing Society.
Since joining Hiscox in 1992, Paul has underwritten a broad range of business lines including fine art, high-value household, personal accident and specialty. Paul was appointed to the Hiscox partnership in 2005, and made Divisional Head of Property of Hiscox London Market in 2007. In April 2013, Paul was promoted to Chief Underwriting Officer, Hiscox London Market, and as joint active underwriter of Syndicate 33. Before joining Hiscox, Paul worked as an underwriting assistant for C P Attenborough Syndicate 144 at Lloyd’s and for broker E W Payne.
Kate joined Hiscox in June 2012 to run the UK Direct business, leading a team of over 200 people across three locations with accountability for sales, marketing, operations, and underwriting. Having built UK Direct into a market-leading operation with a strong brand and a culture of creating customers for life, Kate was promoted to the newly created role of Chief Executive Officer of Hiscox London Market in 2017. Prior to joining Hiscox, Kate worked for Vodafone for 12 years. As Head of International Enterprise at Vodafone, she identified a significant new opportunity to serve multinational clients globally and built an effective operation to support the venture. Kate started her career at Anderson Consulting (now Accenture).
Bob joined Hiscox in 2010 as Head of Group Strategy, before being appointed Group Chief Risk officer later that year. In August 2012, Bob was appointed Head of Claims for Hiscox UK and latterly Europe. Following his appointment to the Hiscox partnership in 2013, Bob joined newly-acquired DirectAsia as Group Chief Operating Officer based in Singapore, being named Managing Director in 2014. In March 2019, Bob relocated back to London as UK Chief Executive Officer.
Benjamin A Walter
In July 2018, Ben Walter became Chief Executive Officer for Hiscox Global Retail – responsible for the retail business across the Group.
He joined Hiscox in early 2011 as COO and served in that post until April 2012 when he was promoted to Chief Executive Officer for Hiscox USA.
Ben previously held the position of Managing Director in the San Francisco office of Blackrock, which he joined via its acquisition of Barclays Global Investors. Prior to that, he was a Director with Gap Inc. and a consultant for the Boston Consulting Group.
Ben has an MBA from Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management and a BA from Washington University in St. Louis.
Marc joined Hiscox in 2017. Based in Bermuda, Marc provides legal guidance to the Executive Committee and is the Principal Representative to the Bermuda Monetary Authority for Hiscox Bermuda, where he is a member of the Board. Marc joined Hiscox from PartnerRe Group, where he acted as Chief Legal Counsel and Secretary to the Board. Prior to joining PartnerRe, Marc was an Associate with Appleby, having trained as a solicitor at Berrymans Lace Mawer in London. Marc is a non-practicing member on the Roll of Solicitors of England & Wales and was called to the Bermuda Bar in 2001.
Hiscox Partner is an honorary title given to employees who make significant contributions to the development and profitability of the Group. The Partnerships encourages a proprietorial attitude, and up to 5% of the total workforce are Hiscox Partners.
- Dan Alpay — Line Underwriter, Flood, Hiscox London Market
- David Bailey — Head of Pricing and Reinsurance, Hiscox USA
- Rory Barker — Group Reinsurance Manager
- Lidia Bozhevolnaya — Head of Partnership, Hiscox Re and ILS
- Paula Bowe — Head of Group Underwriting Standards, Hiscox Group
- Justin Bowen — Chief Underwriting Officer, Hiscox Europe
- Liz Breeze - Chief Financial Officer, Hiscox Re & ILS
- Gary Bright - Head of Operations and Change, Hiscox UK Broker Channel
- Amanda Brown — Group Human Resources Director
- Rob Caton — Head of Underwriting Risk and Reinsurance, Hiscox Re & ILS
- Robert Childs — Non Executive Chairman
- Robert Davies — Chief Executive Officer, Hiscox Special Risks
- Robert Dietrich — Managing Director, Hiscox Germany
- Ross Dingwall — Managing Director (Broker), Hiscox UK
- Andrew Dolphin — Chief Operating Officer, Hiscox Re & ILS
- David Egosi — Senior Vice President, Head of Professional Risks, Hiscox USA
- Guy Ellis — Head of Marine Treaty, Hiscox Re & ILS
- Russ Findlay - Chief Marketing Officer, Hiscox USA
- Stéphane Flaquet — Managing Director, Hiscox Europe
- Robert Gadaleta — SVP, Southeast Regional Executive, Hiscox USA
- Helen Gadenne — HR Director, Hiscox UK & Europe
- Jeffrey Geroux — Head of Field, Hiscox USA
- Laila Gillies — Human Resources Director, Hiscox USA
- Charlie Gower — Head of Insight and Research, Hiscox Group
- Kevin Henry — Chief Underwriting Officer, Hiscox Special Risks
- David Heras — Managing Director, Hiscox Spain
- Robert Hiscox — Retired Honorary President
- Andrew Hughes — Managing Principal, Chief Compliance Officer and General Counsel, Hiscox Re and ILS
- Aki Hussain — Chief Financial Officer
- Steve Jefferies - IT Director, DirectAsia
- Hanna Kam — Chief Risk Officer, Hiscox Group
- Suzanne Kemble — Head of Specialty, Hiscox UK and Group Head of Media and Entertainment
- Kevin Kerridge — EVP, Direct and Partnerships Division, Hiscox USA
- Elizabeth Kim — Director of Cyber Underwriting, Hiscox Group
- Markus Klopfer — Director of Operations, Hiscox Germany
- Craig Knightley — Divisional Director Casualty, Hiscox London Market
- Lorraine Kolega — Group Talent Director, Hiscox USA
- Michael Krefta — Chief Executive Officer, Hiscox Re & ILS
- Steve Langan — Chief Executive Officer, Hiscox USA
- Paul Lawrence — Chief Underwriting Officer, Hiscox London Market and Active Underwriter, Syndicate 33
- Hans Leenards — Managing Director - Benelux, Hiscox Europe
- Kate Markham — Chief Executive Officer, Hiscox London Market
- Ian Martin — Finance Director, Hiscox London Market
- Craig Martindale - Group Head of Capital Management and Interim Chief Investment Officer
- Bronek Masojada — Group Chief Executive Officer
- Martin McBrearty — Head of Underwriting Partnerships, Hiscox UK
- Megan McConnell — Director of Underwriting, London, Hiscox Re and ILS
- Steve McGerr — Head of Direct Commercial, Hiscox UK
- David Milner — Head of IT, Group and Enterprise Applications, Hiscox Group
- Simon Morgan — Divisional Head of Property, Hiscox London Market
- Steve Morse - Regional Manager Birmingham, Hiscox UK
- Joanne Musselle — Chief Underwriting Officer, Hiscox Retail
- Christian Nielsen — Chief Financial Officer, Hiscox UK
- Ross Nottingham - Chair of North America, Hiscox Re & ILS
- Kylie O’Connor — Group Communications Director
- Edip Okur — Group Chief Underwriting Officer and HR Director, Direct Asia
Mike Palmer — Head of Analytics and Research, Hiscox Re and ILS
- Ian Penny - Group Chief Information Officer
- James Pilgrim-Morris — Head of Claims, Hiscox UK
- James Prendergast — VP Product Enablement and Insight, Hiscox USA
- Liz Prior — Finance Director, Hiscox Special Risks
- Tony Rai — Head of London Market Claims, Hiscox London Market
- Charles Rawlins — Energy Line Underwriter, Hiscox London Market
- Robert Read — Global Head of Art and Private Clients
- Georgina Roberts — Head of HR, Hiscox London Market, Hiscox MGA, Hiscox Special Risks and Hiscox IT
- Tom Rogerson — Head of Change and Programme Assurance, Hiscox UK
- Alex Rudolph - Head of PSC Europe
- Adam Rushin — Director of Operations, Hiscox London Market
- Ed Sanchez - Senior Vice President, HUC, Hiscox USA
- David Schonbrun - Head of Legal and Government Affairs, Hiscox USA
- Andrew Sellers - Group Head of Claims Vendor Management
- Mark Shaw — Head of Business Development and Marketing, Hiscox London Market
- Sara Shipley — Chief of Staff, Hiscox Group
- Adam Szakmary — Director of Underwriting, Hiscox Re and ILS
- Bob Thaker — Chief Executive Officer, Hiscox UK
- Nicholas Thomson — Retired Chief Underwriting Officer
- Phil Thorn — Head of Propositions, Hiscox UK
- Lee Turner — National Schemes Sales Manager, Hiscox UK
- Patrícia Vaz Baptista — Chief Financial Officer, Hiscox Europe
- Annabel Venner — Global Brand Director, Hiscox Group and Chief Marketing Officer, DirectAsia
- Wolf von Buchwaldt — Director of Broker Sales, Hiscox Germany
- Ben Walter — Chief Executive Officer, Hiscox Global Retail
- Richard Watson — Group Chief Underwriting Officer
- Matthew Webb — Line Underwriter, Cyber, Hiscox London Market
- Tobias Wenhart — Manager, Product and Underwriting, Hiscox Germany
- Marc Wetherhill — General Counsel, Hiscox Group
- Gareth Wharton — Cyber Chief Executive Officer, Hiscox Group
- Jim Whetstone — SVP, Head of Partnerships, Hiscox USA
- Mike Williams — Divisional Director Specialty, Hiscox London Market
Find out more about our Board and senior management team.