Hiscox is a diversified international insurance group with a consistent, long-held strategy that provides opportunity throughout the insurance cycle. Our ambition is to be a respected specialist insurer valued by our customers, business partners and shareholders, with a diverse portfolio by product and geography.
- To use our underwriting expertise in Bermuda and London to write larger premium, volatile or complex risks.
- To build distribution for our specialist retail products.
- To protect and nurture our distinctive culture and ethos by recruiting the best people, and by focusing on organic growth.
A track record of profitable growth
Over the last five years the Hiscox Group has:
grown gross written premiums by 36% to $4.03 billion
achieved compound dividend growth of 5% in constant currency
returned over $600 million capital to shareholders
delivered an average combined ratio of 93.9%
posted an average return on equity of 9.3%
A resilient business
Strong underwriting discipline, a diversified strategy and sound capital management lead to a lower risk profile for the Group.
We always underwrite for profit, not for market share, and we actively manage our business mix according to the conditions in each sector.
The Hiscox businesses maintain strong and stable credit ratings: ‘A’ by A.M. Best and S&P and ‘A+’ by Fitch. The Group has an increasingly diversified capital base and is in a strong position to take advantage of future growth opportunities.
The excellence of our people has been a crucial factor in our continuing success. Their expertise, courage and dedication continue to drive our reputation for quality and professionalism. In return we strive to provide them with a working environment in which they can flourish. In our annual global employee engagement survey we looked at how connected employees feel to Hiscox, their managers, their teams and their role. Hiscox enjoys very high employee engagement, which averages in the top quartile of over 200 companies worldwide. Of our employees, 89% said they are proud to work for us, while 94% said they believed in our corporate values.
We have invested significantly in creating a powerful, differentiated brand that reflects our values and customer service ethos, with which our target clients identify. For example, our brand awareness in the US has doubled in the last year, the result of a long-term campaign highlighting the courage of small businesses.
We are market-leaders in many of the sectors in which we operate, while our commitment to provide clients with quick responses, clear coverage and superb service is at the heart of everything we do.
- In France, 98% of small business customers are satisfied with our services.
- In the USA, Hiscox small business customers rated us 4.8 out of five for customer service.
- In the UK, 96% of Hiscox Home Insurance customers who have made a claim would recommend us.
- Our broker partners value our claims expertise, rating Hiscox number one in the Gracechurch London Claims Report for overall service quality.
Robert Childs, Chairman
Sign up for our email alerts
Receive alerts for press releases and regulatory news.
Hiscox is a uniquely balanced insurer with a clear vision for the future.