London, UK (25 March 2013) – International specialist insurer Hiscox today announced the launch of a dedicated Counter Terrorism team, the first of its kind in the market. The Group has also made several new appointments to its terrorism underwriting team.
The Hiscox Counter Terrorism team is a new in-house insight and risk management facility for brokers and customers. Five new hires with global security and front-line counter terrorism experience form the backbone of the insight and risk management function which will supplement the existing security services Hiscox customers receive from Control Risks.
As seen recently in the Middle East and Africa, the security situation for many businesses operating in developing regions can change rapidly, with regions previously considered safe now seeing more incidents of Terrorism, War or Political Violence. Consequently, businesses are looking for increased assistance with security and expert guidance on managing these risks. This new team will bring genuine insight in real-time, informing Hiscox’s underwriting and risks management advice.
In addition, underwriting expertise has been pulled together from long established capability in London, Paris, Guernsey and New York under the leadership of Robert Davies. Rob has been appointed Group Head of Terrorism adding to his responsibilities as Group Head of Kidnap and Ransom, and will oversee both the underwriting (in conjunction with Paul Lawrence in London) and counter terrorism teams. Rob has over 27 years of underwriting experience and specialist knowledge of managing business risks in hostile environments. This includes 19 years leading the Kidnap and Ransom team within Hiscox, making it the one of the most respected teams in the market with 60-70% of the world’s book by premium income.
The team also comprises the following internal appointments and external hires:
Counter terrorism team
· James de Labillière DSO (and bar) MBE, joins in April and will lead the Hiscox Counter Terrorism team drawing on over twenty years of British military experience. A highly decorated officer, his appointments have included command of the UK’s military Counter-Terrorist response force and 1st Battalion The Rifles in Afghanistan. James has served extensively in the Middle East, South East Asia, the Balkans and Africa.
· Marcel Krau, Intelligence and Security consultant, Latin America, joins the team having worked at Control Risks where he held various Latin American posts including General Manager of Control Risks Mexico.
· Laurent Descat, Security consultant Francophone Africa. Laurent joined Hiscox in 2012 after a distinguished 20 year career in the French Military and Military Intelligence, serving in Africa and the former Yugoslavia.
· Giles Russell, who joins the team as Intelligence and Security Consultant, Africa is a Lloyd’s approved surveyor specialising in mining and cargo risks in Africa. Giles is a retired Superintendent, Royal Hong Kong Police having served with them for 20 years.
· Paresh Thakrar joined Hiscox in 2013 as Head of Strategy and Business Analysis from McKinsey and Company. Paresh previously worked for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and Ministry of Defence across the range of national security issues, covering the Middle-East and South-East Asia. Paresh was stationed in Kenya.
· Paul Lawrence head of Property and Terrorism for Hiscox London Market, has been underwriting at Hiscox for 21 years.
· Charles Rawlins has been promoted to Head of Terrorism, Hiscox London Market, from the Hiscox Property and Energy team.
· Richard Halstead has been promoted to Deputy Terrorism Underwriter, Hiscox London Market.
· Jeremy Lang has been appointed Terrorism Product Head for the US, in addition to Kidnap & Ransom Product Head for Hiscox USA.
· Alison Wayne has been promoted to Vice President of Terrorism and Kidnap and Ransom, Hiscox USA.
Rob Davies explained, “The world is an increasingly volatile place to do business, threats from war, terrorism and political violence are definitely on the increase. It’s our business to help clients manage these exposures and this new team will be able to assess terrorism risks ahead of the curve, enhancing our ability to provide cover in politically unstable regions or where there are unusual risk profiles.”
For more information:
Kylie O’Connor, Head of Communications +44 20 7448 6656
Lucy Hensher, Communications Manager +44 20 7448 6619
Hiscox, headquartered in Bermuda, is an international specialist insurance group listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: HSX). There are three main underwriting parts of the Group – Hiscox London Market, Hiscox UK and Europe and Hiscox International. Hiscox London Market underwrites mainly internationally traded business in the London Market – generally large or complex business which needs to be shared with other insurers or needs the international licences of Lloyd’s. Hiscox UK and Hiscox Europe offer a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals. Hiscox International includes operations in Bermuda, Guernsey and USA.
For further information, visit www.hiscox.com
All press releases